Thursday, May 23, 2013

Poor Jack had a hard winter

I haven't been making miniatures lately. There have been other things on my to-do list. Like repairing garden statues.

This 3 foot tall Jack Rabbit lost the tip of his ear. When I found Apoxie Sculpt at the model train shop yesterday, I knew it was the right product to do the repair with. It can be used for so many things. It doesn't shrink and freezing temperatures will not effect it. it cures as hard as stone in 24 hours. After that I can faux paint the tip of his ear to look as grungy as the rest of it.
 
Apoxie Sculpt is a two part (putty like) compound that you mix in equal parts. You have roughly three hours of working time. The list of things you can do with it is impressive. I have no doubt there will be a miniature use for it. It will be one of those projects that pops up and you will just know that it is exactly what you need.

Keep a bowl of water close by and some paper towels. Once the sculpting has been done it can be smoothed with water and also textured. Just wash your hands with soap and water.

Finished...I don't think anyone would ever know. ;-)

 

18 comments:

  1. Thanks for the heads-up on this Catherine, I'm sure you're right that it could have a place in miniature work. Bunny looks pleased to have the top of his ear back :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow....sounds too good to be true, I shall add it to my shopping list!!! Thanks x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll definitely stuff this idea into my bag of tricks...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like fantastic stuff. Thank you for introducing it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This stuff sounds wonderful and so is your
    rabbit :) I'm sure he loves his new ear! The repair looks good---

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jack Rabbits surgery was very successful! You are a very talented sculptor!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Catherine, Jack can now listen better to you ;)!! He is a beautiful and handsome guy, your Jack :D! Good work and thank you for sharing the tip!
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that stuff sounds ideal for about a hundred jobs that need doing in my garden! Thanks for posting, oh and nice job on the ear! Kind regards, Brian.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Catherine,
    Thank you for the great tip. You did a great job on jack.
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Catherine! Thanks for sharing, this sounds very interesting! Jack is a very handsome hare and he is surely very happy with his new ear!
    Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  11. I use it for my miniature dolls for years now. Once I decide the posing of a doll or animal I use it on the armature. No drooping arms anymore. ;-)
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing. This stuff sounds like it is a 'must-have' in the home - not just for minis but also for one-eared bunnies who want to improve their hearing! Best wishes, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Catherine! Your rabbit is all ears now and so are we! I had just purchased some of this putty on sale at Miachael's and I'm still not sure what to do with it, or how to use it. Thanks for the posting. You know that by restoring Jack's wounded ear you have made him 'sound' once again.
    ( I know, I know, bad pun)

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks great! Yes indeed way too many things to do at this time of year besides working on miniatures, that distracting lure of the out-of-doors.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Apoxy Sculpt is magic... MAGIC! :) You can buy some from your local taxidermist usually too... if ya don't mind the dead animal statues XD

    http://travelingtwig.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. The repair looks awesome! I think Apoxy is what Tomo Tanaka uses for his miniatures (Nunu's house). I bought his book and unfortunately it is in Japanese but what I can make out from the pictures, this is what he uses to make his delicious cakes and sweets (instead of polymer clay).

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you Veronique.

    I would love to have Tomo Tanaka's book. What is it called and how do I find it?

    ReplyDelete